Learning to Gamble Post #2
What hobbies have been passed down from your family?
The first mahjong set I ever saw was at a party. The shuffling of the colorful, marblelike tiles filled the room, almost playing as background noise to the vibrant conversations around it. I watched my dad play, and once it got to his turn, he drew a tile and flicked the tile effortlessly with one finger to the discard pile. As it slid, it bumped into a previously discarded tile, creating a satisfying “clack” Immediately, the game caught my attention and I pestered my mom.
“Can you teach me how to play this game?”
She laughed it off. “When you get older, I’ll teach you since it’s too complicated for you.” She kept on playing, and I was left puzzled. “Too challenging for me? I’m a six year old though!” I thought. “How dare they think I’m incapable of this game. I’ll show them.” After that day, I annoyed the heck out of my parents to teach me how to play.
It was actually my grandma that taught me a lot about Chinese, so it wasn’t really a surprise that she first taught me the names of each tile. I still didn’t know how to play, so I just strung the tiles together into a long line and recited them. I know, I was a weird child. My parents saw how intrigued I was at the game, and they slowly started teaching me.
I loved that game. Learning a new intricate strategy would completely change my playstyle, and I learned the strategy little by little, leaving me hooked for years. And the sound it made when you hit two pieces together was perfect. I’d play with my entire family frequently after school, and I always had a sneaking suspicion that my grandma let me win all the time. After all, Chinese grandmothers are all secretly mahjong grandmasters. Sadly, my grandma returned to China and with her, my routine of playing mahjong disappeared. As my grandma left, I also noticed my Mandarin deteriorating. Once again, it wasn’t a shock because my grandma only understood Mandarin so speaking it was out of necessity and now that I didn’t have to speak it anymore, I stopped.
I think many Asian Americans, I included, feel a sort of disconnect when it comes to their culture. Mahjong meant more to me than just a tile game. It was like a gateway to a world less traveled. Through it, I could connect to my culture by playing matches with my relatives. I love the activity of the game, where you’re forced to sit to play and there’s nothing to do except talk amongst the players. I feel as though mahjong strengthened my connection to my family members because though we were playing a game, the real experience were the stories told at the table. Without mahjong, I would’ve never known crazy stories like how my father would take dates from his neighbor’s date tree, ensuring that they “wouldn’t go to waste.”
When you pick up a hobby passed down from your family, it’s special. It’s a bonding moment with your family. On the surface mahjong may be a tile game, but if you dig deeper, it’s a game that tests your strategy, and it’s especially a way to relate with heritage you feel disconnected to.
(Getting stomped on by my extended family)
First of all, I love the picture. You have a great story that is told through this essay, and the dialogue definitely helps the reader visualize. I think your reflection in the last two paragraphs could be expanded on more throughout your narrative. Maybe talking about how it helped you connect to your culture towards the beginning and then at the end reflecting on how you feel disconnected now. Overall, great job!
ReplyDeleteThe introduction is amazing-- the detail is clear and creates an image that immerses the reader in the story and allows them to feel like they're there with you. It is also relatable because I'm sure we've all been fascinated by a game that has not yet come into our understanding. The tone is also very fitting because it's conversational and humorous. To create a strong contrast, you could talk about your days after school now compared to the days of playing mahjong. You could also elaborate on the specifics of your emotions and experience during the game (the feeling of being "hooked" or why the strategy excited you). I also felt disconnected when my grandparents returned to China and my Mandarin has been fading. However, my family always played zheng shangyou, a card game, that I even ended up teaching my friends, so the experience of trying to stay connected is relatable. This is a great post!
ReplyDeleteI think that the essay that you wrote was really good at encapsulating how seemingly innocuous things can lead us to connect with out heritage. That being said though, I think that you should probably be going into a little more detail about your experiences. You have about 100 words to spare which would be about a paragraphs worth that you could use to add important context or improve your conclusion. I think focusing more on writing about mahjong as a link to your Asian American Heritage would probably be the best use of those words. I guess a good starting point would be why do you think of mahjong as an important link to your heritage instead of any other activity or practice. What about Mahjong makes you feel connected to the culture, is it nostalgia, connection with friends or family, both, or something else?
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that you have had the opportunity to gamble in your life. Truly, more children should be introduced to the concept at the age of 6, who are obviously capable of facing all sort of challenges...
ReplyDeleteA very clear premise, and the reflection reaches a clear conclusion on how playing mahjong was a large part to your relationship to your extended family and Chinese culture. Not only on what happened when you played mahjong, but how the relationship slowly became more distant as those mahjong games were further in the past. I think that was also a very nice touch.
I know I should probably give some more substantive feedback (i need participation points), but the only thing I can think of is just going through a few rounds of editing to make the essay flow better.