Post #5
Prompt: What can older people learn from your generation?
Oftentimes, I see criticisms of newer technology from older generations about the internet. The older generation often says that newer technology fills the void where moments like self-reflection and “real thinking” come from, something important in human life while other generations don’t seem to mind, where I sometimes see a generational difference. While it may be true that newer technology has its downsides, there is still much more that it offers. I’d even go as far as saying the pros outweigh the cons.
For the longest time, my grandma couldn’t figure out how to use this app called WeChat, where we could call each other by using only wifi. For some reason, she was adamant on using the old telephone. The old telephone miraculously decided that the only way it could be called was through my father’s phone, something that I still haven’t been able to figure out. Because of this, my brother and I couldn’t usually call our grandma because my dad would come home right at bedtime. Even though if she used WeChat, she would be two clicks away from calling, she still chose the more complicated option.
Technology is supposed to benefit us and make our lives easier than before. I know when I get obsessed with something, I can spend hours looking at content catered towards it. I’ll use chess as an example. There are countless channels that each have their own unique form of content and hours of videos on tactics and methods to improve your game. If you’re looking for information, you’ll never find an end to it because there is so much on the internet. Technology shouldn’t be construed as a bad thing and usually benefits the user.
I think that the older generation’s dislike of newer technology comes less from the actual cons, but more of apprehension to the new and unknown. This happens all throughout history though. A few hundred years ago, reading novels was thought to lead people astray and ruin them for real life. Nowadays, reading is one of the most mindful exercises there is and even it was met with skepticism. It’s crucial to find the right spot between fully embracing technology, which can lead to bad things, and completely rejecting it.
I’ve noticed that many people, myself included, are often averse to change. This is exactly why even the smallest changes from what you’re used to can seem like a daunting task and it’s especially true when you’ve spent your entire life using that technology. Though it’s much easier to say this than to do it, navigating technology and using it to the maximum potential lies in overcoming the fear of change, something that every generation has trouble with.
When it’s time for even newer technology to emerge, we need to remember that technology is not good or bad and that it’s a tool. The impact of that technology depends solely on how we use it. By embracing that change and being open to something different, we can bring generations closer by closing that technological difference. That way, all of us can use the amazing opportunities that technology brings us to the fullest.
Great essay Mason! The tone and narration of this essay are very good. I like that even though your essay goes through a lot of different subjects, you can keep the reader with you. The reflection is very strong, and you definitely show multiple perspectives. I like how the closing brings up the future, especially because a central theme of the essay is change. One suggestion I have is to perhaps add one more personal story. The one you have about WeChat and your grandparents is very good and helps illustrate your point, so I think another couple also be helpful.
ReplyDeleteI really liked this essay. I like the example you use with your grandma and WeChat. The point you brought up about the older generations' dislike for new technology stemming from the uncertainty is great. I think in the future, our generation will be less opinionated about new technologies because we've grown up in a highly technological era, so new technology will scare us less and intrigue us more. Overall, I think your essay was great and you answered the prompt well.
ReplyDeleteI very much agree with your essay. I too find that a lot of time, the older generation (usually parents and grandparents) often complains about the cons of contain things when reality they are simply complaining about the change. I really enjoyed your essay, especially the WeChat situation as my grandparents also does the same thing of wanting to only call from their telephones. I would suggest perhaps adding one more personal story to this essay, maybe a time where you were complaining in fear of change.
ReplyDelete